When my brother wrote the poem “Children of The Sun,” we loved it so much that we wanted to get it illustrated. I really wanted to do the illustrations. So, my mother spoke to our art teacher, Ms. Vicki Farmer. She agreed and guided my brother and me in illustrating this poem. I was very excited when we started doing them. Here I’ll describe the steps of one of the illustrations done by me.
1. First I took a can of Barbasol shaving cream and sprayed it on a foil-covered tray.
2. Then I put dots of brown, gold, and blue acrylic paint all over the shaving cream.
3. Next I took a pencil and made swirls in the shaving cream.
4. Then I put a piece of paper on the shaving cream and pressed down lightly.
5. Next I took the paper off of the shaving cream and scraped the extra shaving cream off with a squeegee.
6. Finally I let it dry for one hour.
In all, this took half an hour for the creation and one hour for the drying. I hope you like my illustration, and feel free to try it out.
– Arjun Gupta (co-illustrator of Children of The Sun)