Archive for the ‘Science Projects’ Category

Teeth Cleaning

Wednesday, July 11th, 2018

Arjun did a small experiment on teeth cleaning and followed Kabir’s experiment on teeth cleaning. Unfortunately, I’m not sure if this experiment made my boys learn the importance of cleaning teeth well!

Eggs were kept in various liquids for 2 days.

After 2 days, Arjun brushed each of the eggs with toothpaste and put it in water.

Here’s the data he recorded in his science journal:

Candle Clock

Wednesday, July 11th, 2018

Arjun created a candle clock when we studied about the history of measuring time. He followed Kabir’s experiments of measuring time.

Pig Heart Dissection

Thursday, June 28th, 2018

Amit and the boys dissected pig’s heart and also sutured it as per instructions from Amit. I was absolutely not involved. Boys made it very obvious to me that they thoroughly enjoyed this activity. 

 

Have you ever used shaving cream for an art project?

Thursday, April 5th, 2018

When my brother wrote the poem “Children of The Sun,” we loved it so much that we wanted to get it illustrated. I really wanted to do the illustrations. So, my mother spoke to our art teacher, Ms. Vicki Farmer. She agreed and guided my brother and me in illustrating this poem. I was very excited when we started doing them. Here I’ll describe the steps of one of the illustrations done by me.

1. First I took a can of Barbasol shaving cream and sprayed it on a foil-covered tray.
2. Then I put dots of brown, gold, and blue acrylic paint all over the shaving cream.
3. Next I took a pencil and made swirls in the shaving cream.
4. Then I put a piece of paper on the shaving cream and pressed down lightly.
5. Next I took the paper off of the shaving cream and scraped the extra shaving cream off with a squeegee.
6. Finally I let it dry for one hour.

In all, this took half an hour for the creation and one hour for the drying. I hope you like my illustration, and feel free to try it out.

– Arjun Gupta (co-illustrator of Children of The Sun)

Please buy this book at Lulu.com (you should be able to find coupons).  It’s a 50-page full color book.  Here’s the Facebook page for Children of The Sun.

Science Fair 2018

Friday, March 23rd, 2018

Boys participated in MSEF Region VII Lower Science Fair at Ole Miss.  Arjun won 2nd place in the category of Physics and Astronomy and Kabir won 1st place in the category of Engineering.  Also, Kabir’s project has been nominated for Broadcom Masters.

Arjun’s project was “Morse Code: Is it Still Useful in the Modern World?

The abstract of his project was:
Morse code is a form of communication made up of dots and dashes that grew popular in the 1800s. I wanted to know if Morse code was still useful in the modern world. I hypothesized that Morse code could still be used as a tool of communication. I created a telegraph and sent the same message to seven different people. I observed the time taken to send and understand the messages, and the accuracy of the sent and recieved messages. The original message was the word “AMERICA.” After performing this experiment and analyzing the results, I concluded that Morse code can still be used as an effective tool of communication, although text messaging is much faster and more accurate. However, Morse code can still be used by hobbyists and for fun (like sending secret messages to friends). Also, if people find themselves in an emergency situation and they don’t have modern means of communication, they will still be able to communicate using Morse code.

 

Kabir’s project was “Which Air Foil Creates the most Lift?

The abstract of his project was:
I asked a question: Which airfoil, or wing design, creates the most lift? I experimented with the shape of the airfoil, changing the upper and lower cambers, or curves, for six different wing designs. This was the only variable I tested. I hypothesized that the Thin Deep Camber airfoil would create the most lift. The Thick Deep Camber would be second, and the Low Camber would be third. The GA(W)-1 airfoil would be fourth, and the Symmetrical airfoil would be fifth. The Low Lift would be next. The plain block would create no or very little lift, putting it as the least. I researched and learnt about the forces of flight (lift, weight, thrust, and drag), the Bernoulli Principle and the Coand? effect, wing shapes and airfoil designs, and more. Then, I gathered my materials and conducted my experiment, which involved making airfoil templates, tracing airfoil designs onto styrofoam blocks, and using an electric foam cutting pen to cut out the airfoil. I repeated this for the other five designs on the remaining blocks. I used a fixed wind source and a weighing scale to find the lift (in grams) created by each airfoil design. My results showed that the Symmetrical airfoil created the most lift, followed by the Thin Deep Camber. Therefore, I concluded that my hypothesis was incorrect. However, there were several technical limitations to my experiment that may have affected the final results.